[cvsnt] Re: Excessive delays with files > ~800KB

John Hardin jhardin at epicor.com
Wed Jun 14 16:20:21 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:29:28 -0400, John Hardin <jhardin at epicor.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Server: Linux, CVS 1.11.2
>
> One would assume that you are running against a CVSNT server since you
> post your problems on this list, so I overlooked this item...
> Please ask the GNU CVS people on this, because it is not a CVSNT
> problem...

Ah, but the *client* is CVSNT, and we're only seeing the delay on CVSNT
clients.

I do wish the mod would approve my long (8600 bytes is long?) post with
the numbers...

> >> This is not a particularly large file...
> >> If you had said 800 Mb I would have agreed tit is s large file, but
> >> 800 kb is nothing, really.
> >
> >Wow. You regularly deal with 800kB+ text files?
> We have SQL database definition files that are text files and are
> 700-800 kb in size

Yeah, so do we. I don't know why that escaped my memory. Probably
because we haven't made any schema changes recently.

> >> The problem is not connected with the file size for this size anyway.
> >
> >That's the only indicator I have. The problem becomes noticeable at around
> >800kB and gets unbearable at over 1.5MB, and non-cvsNT clients are not
> >seeing the delays. See my other post with trace and timing data (which is in
> >the moderator queue at the moment).
>
> Sounds bad. Does the server reside on the same network segment and
> what kind of machine is it in relation to the general domain setup?

It is on the same gigabit local network, and is a reasonably muscular
Linux box. We access it via external ssh using local logins. Native
Windows auth does not come into play, and I don't think network issues
(e.g. DNS) are a problem as the delay occurs after the login has
succeeded and the server-side cvs process has started, and only with
CVSNT clients. Cygwin and GNU/Linux cvs clients on various roughly
equivalent client computers don't see the same delays.

> Also, what happens if you try to commit from the command line rather
> than from Tortoise? If you don't know how:
>
> cd <sandbox directory>
> <cvs install path>\cvs commit -m "your commit message here" file
>
> If this also results in "excessive delays" then you have ruled out
> Tortoise from the problem area.

Per my other mail stuck in the moderator queue, yes, the CVSNT command
line exhibits the problems. That's why I moved this from the TortoiseCVS
bugtraq to the CVSNT mailing list.

> Of course. Delays are in my world *always* caused by the client/server
> communication or by the server processing. The client just sends the
> files to the server for processing and receives back data to update
> the local sandbox with. It does not do a whole lot itself...

That's what's so puzzling. The network operations *seem* to complete
promptly. I haven't done packet captures yet to verify that, I may yet
do so.

--
John Hardin KA7OHZ
Senior Applications Developer, RetailCRM Development