[cvsnt] Finding date a tag was created?

Jim Hyslop jimh at view22.com
Fri Oct 20 19:12:06 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:
> No,
> CVS does not timestamp tags at all. This applies to CVSNT and
> GNU CVS as well.

Well, GNU CVS will log 'rtag' operations if the history is enabled -
does CVSNT support that? I supposed I could RTFM, couldn't I? :-)

Jonathon, you can narrow down the tag to a window of time, but it will
take some work. The more active your repository is, and the more files
are involved, the more accurate the window will be. Also, this assumes
that the tag was applied to the head revision, and that nobody moved the
tag after it was created.

Find the most recent timestamp of the tag (use 'cvs log -N -r TAG, and
examine the dates of the revisions). This will be the earliest the tag
could have been created. Next, look at the timestamp of the revision
following the tag. Find the one with the earliest timestamp possible.
This is the latest the tag might have been created. Unfortunately,
there's no easy way to look at revision "TAG + 1" - you'll have to do it
manually.

Actually, have a look at the cvs-info mail archive, at
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-cvs. If memory serves,
several months ago someone posted a link to a Perl script that would do
all that work for you.

--
Jim