[cvsnt] Finding date a tag was created?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Oct 20 22:59:20 BST 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:12:06 -0400, "Jim Hyslop" <jimh at view22.com>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> No,
>> CVS does not timestamp tags at all. This applies to CVSNT and
>> GNU CVS as well.
>
>Well, GNU CVS will log 'rtag' operations if the history is enabled -
>does CVSNT support that? I supposed I could RTFM, couldn't I? :-)

If history records this then CVSNT also does it if enabled.
However I have found history next to useless for any tracking I needed
to do. Instead I have put CVSMailer in place with references in the
taginfo file. This way every tag operation will be recorded as an
email in my email archive. Could be done differently of course, like
having taginfo create a tagging database entry etc.
But now that CVSNT since some time natively supports auditing into a
database of *all* client operations this is all moot, go for CVSNT
auditing and be done with it! :-)

Of course it can't go backwards but at least after you have enabled it
you will have full searchability in the database.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)