[cvsnt] How to get the list of modified files (to zip and send them).

Petr Prikryl PrikrylP at skil.cz
Tue Sep 19 10:35:40 BST 2006

Hi,

(Possibly more complicated than it looks at first.)

Having a tag, how can I reliably get the list of files
that has changed since the tag?

The list of files is used to create the zip archive and to send
it to another developer who has his own cvs server.
Occasionally, he zips the newer files the same way
and sends them to me.

We use the same script to do that. It is based on

cvs rdiff -s -kk -r TheTag -r ... etc

The file names are extracted from the output like:
File APSm3/Market/src/APSDirector.cpp changed from revision 1.110 to
1.110.2.1
File APSm3/Market/src/APSGraphDirector.cpp changed from revision
1.218.2.1 to 1.218.2.2
File APSm3/Market/src/APSGraphDirector.h changed from revision 1.40.2.1
to 1.40.2.2
File APSm3/Market/src/APSResrc.h changed from revision 1.61 to 1.61.2.1
File APSm3/Market/src/APSVar0Director.cpp changed from revision 1.87 to
1.87.2.1

The problem is that the files contain the expanded $Id$.
Because we use two cvsnt servers, the $Id: ....$ are not the same (we
are
synchronized only at some points). When I get the file from my
colleague,
and do "cvs ci", it probably gets new revisision based on the difference
of the $Id:...$ even when the real content did not change. But then, the

file is said to be different by the "cvs rdiff" and I am going to send
it
back to my colleague -- which is not necessary.

Any idea, how the mechanism could be improved? Is there any way
to get the information that the file did not change?

Thanks for your time and experience,
  pepr
--
Petr Prikryl (prikryl at skil dot cz)